A design system is a centralized library containing a cohesive set of reusable elements. It houses tools for designers and developers, as well as abstract elements that embody the brand values and mindset of the company or product.
Provide meaningful customer experiences
Design systems enable teams to build their products better and faster. They are a great tool for optimizing workflows and improving collaboration and knowledge sharing. Design systems also generate more meaningful customer experiences by creating consistency.
Design systems act as a platform of stability that also provide extra, intangible benefits. For example, they promote:
- Predictability: using predictable elements in a product results in easy navigation
- Simplicity: using fewer elements allows us to get straight to the point and doesn’t risk losing the user’s attention
- Flexibility: flexibility within a design system allows space for creativity
- Conversion: using familiar and recognizable elements makes the user journey as easy as possible
- Clarity: clear layout and call to action
- Quality: combining all the elements result in a good looking and working product)
The bottom line is, once you gather enough elements, design systems save you time and money.
Creating a Design System
The process by which we create a design system involves:
- Defining the purpose and shared values of your company
- Defining appropriate design principles
- Defining your brand identity and accompanying guidelines
- Creating the component and pattern library
There’s a lot to think about if you want a design system that results in a high ROI. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Contact us below.